Sunday, November 29, 2009

It's great to stay up late

My very favorite movie (amongst many, many favorite movies) is probably High Society. Released in 1956, it was directed by Charles Walters (he won an Oscar for Lili - which I have, incidentally, never seen) and the score is by Cole "Muthafucka" Porter. It stars Bing Crosby, Grace Kelly, Frank Sinatra, Celeste Holme and, of course, Louis Armstrong. I mean, what else do you really need to know? It's the bee's knees, y'all.

I was going to post the trailer here - but it's really, really long and boring, which is the opposite of what this movie is. I mean, dude, this is how the movie starts:


This is also a favorite number of mine, both in the movie, and in movies generally, in large part because these guys just look like they're having so much fun. It stands as perhaps the greatest dick-measuring contest ever caught on film.


Anyway, it's a great movie. I sure wish I owned it. So, now everybody knows what to get me for Christmas. Luckily, I have Funny Face to tide me over until then. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmaffpKAYcw won't embed, but it is totally worth it. Wish I could get the "avant garde" number Kay Thompson and Fred Astaire do in the philosopher's loft...but we can't have EVERYTHING we want, now can we?

No comments: