Monday, April 26, 2010

I HAVE TAKEN THIS AD DOWN

Because I don't want to sell this easel, actually. My sales pitch was so good, I sold myself. Oops.

Gorgeous Antique Artist's Easel - Make Art or Display It! - $100 (Washington Blvd & Centinela)


Date: 2010-04-26, 4:17PM PDT
Reply to: sale-4zdqc-1711779979@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]


I picked this easel up a few years ago when I was living in Baltimore. The owner of an apartment building near my place decided to get rid of the mountains of stuff people had left behind in their storage spaces over the years. I don't think that basement had been cleaned up, well, ever and so there were lots of treasures to be found. Including this faaabulous easel!

I don't really know anything about easels, but I do know what I like. And I like this. My (admittedly) extremely cursory research tells me that new easels usually cost $150+ and are made of ugly light-colored wood. This thing looks wayyyy cooler. How can you make amazing art on an ugly easel? Huh? How? I'm a musician, not an artist, but I've used the easel to display paintings and it looks very neat. Lotsa' character in this piece. You don't have to make art on it - it can be art! A found object piece, if you will. This easel really does it all.

There is a brass (?) label on the easel identifying it as a Grumbacher. I don't know if that has any significance but I do know that's a funny name. Makes me think of hats. That's another thing you could do with this easel: hang your hat on it. Amazing.

You could put it in your room and imagine you are a starving artist in post-war Paris, wearing striped shirts, giving up food to buy paint, giving up women to focus on your soul's work. Or imagine you are a little old purple-haired lady in Baltimore who took up painting after her cat died. Or something more positive, certainly. It's not really a negative easel. Think of this way: I provide the easel, you provide your own fantasy lifestyle. And also provide your own pick-up. Thanks!


No comments: