Friday, December 11, 2009

Jonathan Richman


On Wednesday night, riding a crashing wave of Joose and Bushmills, I joined some lovely folks and went to see Jonathan Richman play.

It. Ruled. He's so completely charming and sweet onstage. The Mint is a strange little venue - sort of an older crowd than I expected - but I felt a lot of togetherness. A lot of drunken togetherness.

After the show, I asked Mr. Richman if he, like John Waters, would sign my tits. Like the true gent he is he respectfully declined, so I asked him to sign my arms instead. He was much more into that. Outside we all hugged him and waved for an awkwardly long time as he hopped into the passenger side of a Subaru.

Later I called a number - I'm not sure who it belongs to, but we didn't talk for very long. MYSTERIES! It was probably Mr. Richman himself. "Oh, hey there Jonathan! Super fun meeting you tonight!" "Wow, it sure was nice to meet you too, Liz." "Gee, you're the best. Talk to you soon, Jon Jon." "Bye now, Lizzy-boo. Sweet dreams."

Here's Jonathan (we're friends now) when he was young and experimental:


Oh, how I love love love him...p.s. Tommy Larkin was on the skins on Wednesday as well:

No comments: